AddThis Social Bookmark Button Add to Google Reader or Homepage
Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Acupuncture

I've been going to see an acupuncturist for about 3 months now. I originally started going because for a little while now I was noticing a numbness/tingling feeling in my left hand, mainly my two middle fingers. I noticed it a while back and certain activities would cause it to be worse. But it was typically temporary. I would just shake my hand out and I was ok. Well it was getting worse and worse to the point when it was effecting my daily activities. I would get numbness typing, riding my bike to the point I couldn't grab the break and even just sitting on the couch, driving, or sleeping. Once it got to this point I was really getting worried.

One worry was diabetes but it would be a bit odd to get it in only one hand, nothing in my feet, etc. So... ok not so worried about that. I decided it was time for me to find a local physician. I've typically gone back to NJ for doctor visits (like my hair cuts). But I figured a doctor was easier to find then a barber. Went to him for a general physical, we talked about my hand, allergies, etc etc. He wanted me to go get a nerve conduction study for my hand to figure out where the nerve was pinched. Decided to hold off on this procedure as I hear it can be a bit painful. After talking with a couple other people we pretty much determined it was carpel tunnel syndrome.

Well because pretty much my whole family is pretty into alternative medicine and healing we are all pretty open to acupuncture. So what the hell. If I could get some tiny little needles stuck in me and I won't have to wear a wrist brace... perfect.

So I got referred to Coral Gables Acupuncture I met with the guy. Totally an awesome guy, really friendly and real easy to talk to. He got me started that day. He thought maybe it was a nerve pinch and poor blood flow in the upper back and neck. We started on a 2x/week meeting for I think 3 weeks. He put some needles in my neck, back, and head and off we went. Other visits we would do points in the legs, arms, and head. He also gave me some Chinese herbal meds to work on blood flow.



Sidebar #1: Now I guess I will add this in now. Some of you must be saying, "I can understand the arms and neck but why is this dope putting needles in my legs when I went in about my hands." I'll give you the short short version (check out his website, HowItWorks, or Google for more info). Your body generates tiny electrical charges during it's normal process. This energy flows through your ENTIRE body if there is a blockage or an unbalance then something ain't going to work right. The needles at specific points help release the blockages so things can balance out. For those that live in South Florida. We all know that when you are driving on 836W past the Miami airport and a plane in landing, traffic tends to slow down a bit. This effects you if you are right behind the guy but somehow it would still effect you if you were at the 395/95 interchange, or going East on 836. So, you remove the one dumbass rubber necker and get everybody else to cooperate and traffic is much better. Ok.. maybe not the best description of acupuncture but I think you get the point.

Sidebar #2: The next point of concern people always ask.... "Does it hurt?" Generally I have found it doesn't hurt. Yes I have felt a small twinge when the needle goes in. Getting needles in the harder parts of the ear isn't really painful but an interesting feeling. But honestly it is so relaxing you very quickly forget about the needles. I have fallen asleep during every session.


He very quickly determined if I was responding to treatment. If you don't respond within a few then it is very possible that A) they aren't attacking the right points or, most likely B) your body just may not respond to it. We were seeing slight improvements. I was waking up less each morning with my hand being numb or less frequent numbness during other rest periods. But I would still get it biking. After a couple weeks we switched to a direct attack to the hand. We are talking about 10-15 needles in the hand and wrist area specifically concentrating the carpel tunnel areas. We met 1x/week and after the first week I had already noticed a difference. Now, 7 visits and about 9 weeks later I have not had any numbness in my hand riding, sleeping, typing or anything. This is exactly what I was looking for. It may have cost a bit more (insurance didn't cover me for this) then going to see a neurologist but totally worth it.

I also did a diet cleansing/weight loss program with them. Basically the cleansing process (and no it wasn't a liquid diet with a bunch of diarrhea) was to help flush any chemicals and artificial stuff out of my system to ensure my digestive tract was running as efficiently as it should. So with the cleansing, acupuncture to help stimulate the digestive system and a life change in eating (can't really call it a diet) has gotten me to where I am.

I have one more scheduled visit because I had to cancel one due to a broken ankle. At this one I am sure we will talk about my hand but I think the more pressing issue to talk about is the ankle/leg. I want to see if there is anything he can do for me to help with the healing of my leg, help prevent scar tissue, help prevent arthritis in the future, and overall speed things up so I can get a move on.

So I will be happy to talk to anybody about my acupuncture experience, and I want to hear about yours. I know there are a lot of skeptics out there and people afraid of needles. Oh and of people that I know, let me know if you are interested I have a coupon of sorts for basically a free first visit/consultation.


(he really should pay me for this eh? You know what, the success of my hand is enough)

No comments: